Tuesday, June 5, 2012

life update


For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 1 Corinthians 9:16

I was talking with a friend a few weeks ago about my ministry direction, dream, goals, etc when suddenly she "politely" rebuked me.  It was the refreshing kind of rebuke from someone I know loves God.  She said something to the effect that I needed to let people in on what I was doing so they could pray for me.  Thanks Emily!  So here it is...

About a month ago I left a reviatilzing ministry experience with Lakepoint Community Church near Lake Oconee.  I spent 9 months there working with students and building a team of volunteers.  Perhaps more benefitting to me personally, I spent many hours talking life and ministry with Rob Raynor.  It was like an accelerated version of ministry wisdom, insight, and advice.  I am extremely grateful for Rob's voice in my life.  Lakepoint was a place where I renewed my calling.  I love them and will continue a friendship with the church.  

Over the last few years God has restored, renewed, and reconfirmed what He's called me to do with my life.  I never really doubted what He wired me for, but I had to experience what it was like to take ministry for granted before He would give me anything else.  I wrote about some of that journey here

About four months ago I came back from a leadership conference really unsettled in what I was doing.  Sure, I loved serving and loved the people.  But I really began to ask myself, "Am I stewarding the gifts God has given me in the best way possible."  The answer was no.  God has gifted me to preach and teach.  I am most effective for Christ when I'm doing those things.  I was serving in student ministry, and knew in my heart that I was not ultimately fit for that particular focus.  Not to mention, I had another "polite" rebuke from my friend Phil who told me I was not a youth pastor.  I couldn't agree more!

So, what's a guy to do?  

Several times over the last year or so people have asked me, "have you ever thought of starting a church?"  Me, start a church?  I would almost laugh.  Sometimes I actually did laugh.  I had heard story after story of church plants that failed, of guys who went rogue thinking they could be the next Steven Furtick or Perry Noble.  I didn't want to be that guy.  I was smarter than that, and not nearly as arrogant.  I was not going to be the guy that foolishly went out and fell flat on his face.  Without realizing though, I was being the guy that ignored the quiet voice of God...

So, I'm embarking on a church planting journey.  There are hundreds of unanswered questions.  The future is as uncertain as its ever been.  But that is creating some excitement at the same time.  As I've told several people in recent weeks, I don't want to be sitting here a few years from now wondering "what if?"  Here is what I know: I leave Sunday for a church planter assessment in Las Vegas.  Yes, I think that's funny too.  It leaves me wondering if they're going to leave a bag of cash in my room and monitor what i do with it.  Feed the homeless or play the slots?  The assessment will function as a "laboratory" where I will be evaluated in 12 critical areas.  I am really looking forward to the feedback.  When I return from the assessment, I will begin a 6 month training program, ideally facilitated by a church that is planting churches.  Things will begin to become more clear as I begin my training.  The where, when, who, etc. questions will hopefully begin to be answered.  I have no idea how God is going to do this, but it's not my job to know how.

The words of Paul in the verse above capture my feelings.  I honestly believe I would be a miserable man if I did not fulfill God's calling on my life to preach.  I think the same is true for all of us.  We are most fulfilled when we're doing what God has wired us to do.  It's that simple.

I am grateful for you taking the time to read this.  I am also inviting you to join me on this journey by subscribing to these email updates by entering your email in the upper right column of this blog.  I will be stronger with you as a partner.

Faithfully,

Mitchell

No comments: