Monday, November 28, 2011

Help me stop an epidemic


Let's be honest. We're all guilty of it. It's something that happens to the best of us. Country music says it best sometimes, and in the words of Travis Tritt (is he still around?),
"Please tell me you will remember,
No matter how much I do wrong
That I had the best of intentions all along."

I'm talking about something that I think has spiraled out of control. It has become an issue that people must address all across America. What am I referring to? The epidemic of the cell-phone self portrait. You know, when you want a picture of yourself and there's no one around to take it. You innocently take the picture with your phone, all the while ignoring that half of your arm is in camera view.

Again, I'm not claiming innocence here. As seen in the above pic, I fell victim in 2005. But I believe with enough awareness, we can stop this national crisis. It's a tricky thing; snapping a quick pic of yourself with the phone. Here's a few helpful tips if you attempt it:

1. To make sure your arm stays out of sight, hold it at less than a 45 degree angle. Somewhere between 20-30 degrees should work, unless you have short arms.
2. If someone is within shouting distance of 1,000 ft or less, just ask them. Remember, we're all guilty of the self-portrait. They know your dilemma.
3. If with another person, take pics of each other and then photoshop one of you in the pic to make it seem like both were in the shot.

These are just a few. Remember, your efforts can go a long way. Imagine a world where no forearms are visible in pictures? It can happen. Hold on to hope.

1 comment:

Jenny Long said...

Bahahaha! This is great info Mitchell. Priceless.