Friday, December 16, 2011

"Definite Maybe": the mantra of young adults and what we can do to change it

The other day I was reading over an invite message to a party and some of the comments being made by invitees. You know, where people tell you they really want to come but have something more awesome to do instead? One of the comments made in RSVP was "put me down as a definite maybe!" I thought, what is a "definite maybe?" Is that where you commit with no strings attached? Now, I know this person and think highly of them. And I'm sure they didn't analyze their comment like I did. It got me thinking about my generation and something that bothers me. I've written about what in America is described as "emerging adulthood" here. That young adults are reaching major "milestones" (marriage, independence, children, etc) at a later age is no secret. What the "definite maybe" phrase reveals of our generation is this: We don't commit to much.

We wait to make weekend plans until all possible offers have been reviewed. It usually goes like this: Friend: "Hey, what are you up to this weekend?" You: "Not sure yet" (in your head: I'm waiting to see if anyone else asks me. anyone.) Friend: "Ok, well we're gonna go to ___________, so you should come." You: "Yea, I'll let you know." (in your head: I'll say my phone died and/or my grandma needed a couch moved) This "definite maybe" attitude spills over into other relationships, even dating. We hang out in groups exhaustively because we don't want to ask a girl out. Here's a great article on that issue, by the way. I especially agree when the authors say, "If you're over 18 and you're still using Facebook applications to let someone know you're interested in them, you need to be punched in the face." It seems like the one area we're great at commitment is the 2-yr cell phone contract to get the newest smartphone. How can we change this? We can start taking risks and making decisions knowing that we don't control our circumstances. Instead of always waiting for something better to come along, maybe we can invest in the opportunity and ask God to work out the rest. Maybe instead of "waiting on God" to bring us a mate we can take notice of the people right in front of us and pursue a relationship (with a phone call guys!!!) Maybe instead of jumping from one job to the next we can put in a few years of time and effort and see what happens. Maybe we can change from a "definite maybe" to a "most definitely". What criticisms do you hear about young adults?

No comments: