Sunday, June 26, 2011

Premature clapping or cheering in church

This morning something something funny happened during the sermon. The pastor was talking about Christians paying attention to what lines are drawn between what is sin/not sin, who draws the lines, etc. He was speaking to the fact that the culture around us might draw a line to show acceptance of something, but that believers should look to God's Word to see what is said about that particular issue. In one specific reference, he mentioned New York, and immediately a guy behind me let out a proverbial "woo hoo" cheer. He was alone. No one else in the crowd of about 2,000 cheered.

It's funny when these things happen in a crowd. Someone starts clapping or lets out a cheer thinking "surely, everyone else will follow suit." Much to their surprise, they are left on a island. It's similar to the shame of your cell phone going off in the service and everyone hearing your generic ringtone. You know the one I'm talking about that gets stuck in your head.

I wonder what this particular brave soul thought after his woo hoo outburst. I hope he doesn't retract into a shell, never to express his emotions publicly again. I hope he doesn't wait for others to laugh or clap before he does the same. I wanted to congratulate him on his bravery after the service, but all I had to recognize him by was the sound of the cheer, echoing in my mind.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever let out a "woo hoo" in a crowd, only to be left all alone on an island of social shame?

No comments: